Councillor formally resigns after letter blunder

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council A woman wearing glasses is looking directly at the photographer. She has short grey hair and is wearing a lanyard.Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council
Christine Duffy said she was stepping down following a failed attempt to resign earlier this month

A by-election has been called after a councillor's initial unsuccessful attempt to resign earlier this month - when she handed her resignation letter in to the wrong council - was followed by her confirmed resignation.

Reform UK's Christine Duffy was elected in May to represent the Town ward on Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council but submitted a resignation letter to Kidsgrove Town Council on 4 August.

In her initial resignation letter, seen by the BBC, Duffy said she had decided to step down as she had received "very little or no training for this role".

Then on Friday, Duffy said: "It is with deep regret that I have formally resigned, with immediate effect."

In her post through Reform UK Newcastle-under-Lyme on Facebook she added: "This is not a decision I have taken lightly, but recent events have taken a significant toll on my health and wellbeing.

"I have therefore reached the difficult conclusion that I must now put my health first."

She added that she had been "deeply upset" by the fact what she considered to be a private letter had ended up being shared publicly.

According to the Electoral Commission, there is no provision for a councillor to withdraw their resignation once it has been received by the authority.

Duffy claimed she had changed her mind about her initial attempt to quit before the letter was received by the borough council's proper officer.

The authority confirmed on Friday that Duffy had now formally submitted her resignation.

Her letter was dated 20 August, and received by the council on Friday, they said.

A date for the by-election will be announced in due course.

Follow BBC Stoke & Staffordshire on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.