Derailed train disruption to last another week

John Fairhall/BBC An aerial photo of the railway track in Wickford where a train derailed on Friday. The train has been removed but there are lots of vehicles parked on an adjacent road. There is a footbridge over the trackJohn Fairhall/BBC
The derailed train was removed from the track in Wickford on Monday

A train that derailed in Essex has now been removed, but disruption is expected to continue on the line for about a week.

The Greater Anglia service from Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street came off the tracks in Wickford at 14:12 BST on Friday.

The line remains closed between Billericay and Hockley, with a limited rail replacement bus service between the two locations.

Jonathan Denby from Greater Anglia said engineers were working "around the clock" to repair the damage to a mile and a half of track.

"Inconvenience"

A twice-hourly shuttle rail service is running between Southend Victoria and Hockley, and between Billericay and Shenfield, with a rail replacement bus service between Wickford and Southminster.

Greater Anglia has advised passengers to seek alternative routes and plan ahead to avoid disruption for the next week.

Tickets are being accepted on the c2c line but the company said passengers should expect longer journeys due to 'significant delays'.

Stuart Woodward/BBC Pat Reeves sits at a bus stop in Hockley with a row of shops behind her. She is wearing a blue and white floral top with a white cardigan over the top. She has a colourful bag over her shoulder, and has grey hair and wears glasses.Stuart Woodward/BBC
Pat Reeves was on her way to Ipswich but anticipated her journey would take longer than planned
Stuart Woodward/BBC Matt Percy wears a white T-shirt and is standing in front of a shop. There is a bus in the background with people next to it. Matt has short dark hair and stubble.Stuart Woodward/BBC
Matt Percy said his journey on Monday had taken longer than usual

Some of those who travelled through Hockley on Tuesday said their journeys had taken much longer than usual.

Matt Percy, a decorator from Southend-on-Sea, said his journey had taken 90 minutes longer.

He added it had been confusing where to wait for the replacement bus service which is on the high street, several hundred metres from Hockley station.

Lawrence Ogunbanwo, a Nigerian student who had been on holiday in the UK, was travelling from Southend-on-Sea to Heathrow Airport.

"I planned to leave earlier because I knew of the disruption," he told the BBC, adding he "wasn't prepared" for the walk from Hockley station with his suitcase.

PA Media A photograph of the Greater Anglia train with part of the end carriage off the track at Wickford in Essex. The train is not moving. Ten people wearing orange fluorescent hi-vis clothing with white helmets are standing on the tracks to the right of the train.PA Media
Structures including the uprights carrying overhead electric cable were damaged

Pat Reeves from Hockley, who was on her way to meet a friend in Ipswich, said she left earlier "because I've heard the bus journey is quite long".

Greater Anglia said passengers with heavy luggage or preferring a shorter walk could travel from Rochford instead, as the walk between the bus stop and railway station is much shorter.

Denby apologised to passengers for the disruption but said it was "a large and complex task" to repair not just the damaged track, but also signalling equipment and overhead line equipment.

He said they were doing all they can to minimise the impact.

Do you have a story suggestion for Essex? Contact us below.

Follow Essex news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.