Case closed after files found in empty council sites
GoogleNo further action will be taken after potentially sensitive files were found by an urban explorer at unoccupied West Sussex County Council buildings, the information watchdog has said.
In July, West Sussex County Council (WSCC) said it was investigating how a man, who claimed on social media to have found documents including foster care paperwork, accessed Durban House in Bognor and The Grange in Chichester.
On Monday, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) said "in light of the remedial measures already taken by WSCC" it was "satisfied that appropriate steps had been taken and closed the case with no further regulatory action".
WSCC refused to comment further on the case.
The ICO said action taken by WSCC, which reported the incident, included removing the documents from the buildings.
"The UK GDPR [General Data Protection Regulation] requires all organisations to report personal data breaches to the ICO which are likely to have a detrimental effect on people," a watchdog spokesperson added.
"It is essential that people can trust organisations to handle their personal information securely and responsibly."
Under GDPR protocols, personal data must be stored securely and kept for no longer than necessary.
'Review of security'
WSCC previously said it was "treating this situation seriously" and was "taking swift action".
"Steps are being taken to confirm that all material stored is done so securely, with material held at these two locations being relocated while investigations into how access was gained are carried out," the council added.
The authority said the sites were unoccupied, not abandoned, and had been "fully secured and were regularly monitored".
"A thorough review of security at all buildings in our estate will be completed as a matter of urgency and action will be taken where needed to safeguard against further unauthorised entry," the council said.
According to the council's website, Durban House has been closed "until further notice". The site flooded in October 2023.
The Grange also closed in October 2023, when services moved to an adjacent building.
Urban exploring, which is where someone accesses disused buildings and records the contents, can amount to trespassing if properties are entered without the owner's permission, and is generally treated as a civil dispute.
Sussex Police said a 22-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of using threating, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear or unlawful violence.
He remains on bail, pending further inquiries, they added.
Follow BBC Sussex on Facebook, X, and on Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Sussex on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.
