Water returning after 1,800 properties affected

PA Media A man in a orange hi-vis jacket. His back is turned. PA Media
Some South East Water customers are still facing supply issues

Water has been returning to customers in an area of Kent where about 1,800 properties were hit with supply issues.

On Wednesday, South East Water (SEW) apologised to customers in the Benenden and Rolvenden area who were having supply issues due to a technical issue at a water treatment works and low levels in storage tanks.

The following day, the firm said water had been returning and staff were at Benenden Village Hall to answer questions and offer support.

SEW has also said repairs are ongoing to a burst main in the Whitstable area, which has been affecting 66 properties.

The company said it was also working to minimise the impact of a further burst water main at Blackwell Hollow in East Grinstead in West Sussex.

"We have technicians on site and we're moving water around our network to limit the impact of the burst," SEW incident manager Jenny Rhodes said.

"When repairs are carried out, this will impact up to 51 properties nearby.

"Our teams are also in contact with Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead and we're working to support the hospital using our fleet of tankers."

'We apologise sincerely'

The company says it is also investigating a separate issue in Selmeston in East Sussex.

SEW says about 100 properties could face low pressure or no supply while repair works are carried out.

"We know how difficult it has been for our customers to be without water for so long," Rhodes said.

"This is not the standard of service we want to provide and we apologise sincerely for the frustration and inconvenience it has caused.

"We are already looking at the actions we need to take to prevent this happening again."

Follow BBC Kent on Facebook, on X, and on Instagram. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.