Maternity unit closure 'is catastrophic failure'
BBCHealth service bosses have been accused of "a catastrophic failure of senior management" after birthing services were suspended a hospital.
The Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust suspended births at North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple from 11 August.
Devon County Council leader Julian Brazil made the comment after councillors raised concerns about the safety and equality of mothers-to-be having to travel to Exeter for births.
Peter Collins, of NHS Devon and Cornwall's Integrated Care Board, told a meeting there were "no easy choices" as the service had been "clinically unsafe" and it was "not possible to provide effective and safe services... at the moment".
In the special county council meeting, councillor Andrea Davis emphasised the lack of public transport and mobile phone signal in the area, and Liberal Democrat North Devon MP Ian Roome said "women need the right care at the right time, regardless of where they live or their income".
Roome asked the health trust what journey time would be considered acceptable for women in labour.
He queried whether there were contingency plans and whether roadworks, accidents, seasonal traffic had been considered.
Councillor Caroline Leaver said many residents in north Devon did not have access to cars or the income for any additional travel costs or accommodation resulting from a birth needing to take place in Exeter.
North Devon District Hospital also serves parts of mid-Devon and north-east Cornwall.
Councillor Graham Bell said: "There is massive fear among the entire community, including Bude, Torridge and southern Somerset.
"The trust needs to give COBRA-esque [UK government emergency-style] daily briefings through our media outlets to reassure them everything is being done."
Councillor Cheryl Cottle-Hunkin concluded: "Our geography is a fact but it shouldn't be a risk to a mother's health."
Royal Devon trust chief executive Sam Higginson said staffing was the reason for the closure.
He said the trust was "redoubling recruitment efforts" for both permanent and temporary consultants and doctors.
He said: "We are absolutely committed to this being a temporary closure.
"My key concern is I need to reopen the service when it's safe to do so."
The scrutiny committee made five recommendations, including: a restoration plan, an impact assessment, a lessons-learnt review, a fragile services report and a sending a letter to the Secretary of State.
The committee also requested Devon County Council to have representation on the NHS Devon and Cornwall's Integrated Care Board.

Hundreds of people protested in Barnstaple on Saturday about the temporary closure of the unit, saying they wanted it to be reopened.
Phoebe Hawkins' premature twins were born in the hospital before they were rushed to Bath because the seven nearest major hospitals were too full.
She said she had called the midwife who had invited her to hospital for reassurance but, on her arrival, she had been found to be in labour.
Hawkins said: "I know personally I wouldn't have driven all the way to Exeter to have been checked out just for some reassurance.
"I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't gone to be seen."
The twins were born at 28 weeks and the team at Barnstaple administered steroids which saved their lives before their transfer to Bath.
The new mother and twins went on to spend five weeks in the special baby care unit in Barnstaple, which has also been temporarily closed.
"It was a lifeline to us," she said.
