Normal service to resume on derailment train line
PA MediaNormal service is set to resume on a track where a train derailed in Essex, Greater Anglia has said.
The train, which had been travelling from Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street on 14 August, had been carrying more than 60 passengers when it partially came off the tracks at Wickford.
The train operator said the repairs were "a massive and complex task, with much more work to do", but added "with the progress that has been made... normal service should resume on Wednesday 26 August".
"If any complications occur in the meantime that adversely affect that plan, we will update you as soon as possible."
Greater Anglia said more than 3,700 sleepers needed to be replaced on the route, and in an update on Friday added the first new sleepers and sections of track had already started to be installed.
On Monday, the affected train was removed from the scene.
No-one was injured during the derailment and the train remained upright.
It happened less than 24 hours after two passengers were seriously hurt in a separate derailment in East Sussex.
PA MediaGreater Anglia said a replacement bus service would continue until Friday, 28 August for passengers going between Wickford and Southminster due to pre-planned engineering works.
The company's statement added: "Thank you for your patience as we work to get things back to normal. We're also grateful to our Greater Anglia and Network Rail colleagues for their hard work in helping us reopen the railway as quickly as possible."
Do you have a story suggestion for Essex? Contact us below.
Follow Essex news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
