Firms affected by shop fire may reopen within days
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue ServiceBedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said businesses affected by a blaze at a bathroom showroom could be allowed back into their premises in the coming days.
At its peak, about 70 firefighters were tackling the fire in Selbourne Road, Luton, which broke out at the Kitchen and Bathroom Store on Saturday.
It was extinguished but the site remained cordoned off while investigators worked to establish the cause.
Mark Garrett, the service's head of protection and response, said: "I anticipate it won't be more than a few days, it won't go into weeks, and it also depends on Luton Borough Council's assessment of the safety of the structure."
Butterfields, a building material supplier, told the BBC they had been forced to shut and turn away delivery lorries since the fire broke out.
Garett urged business owners to visit the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service website to access their dedicated business safety advice page.
Once investigators have finished their work and the structure is deemed safe, businesses can return to their premises on Selbourne Road.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue ServiceResidents were allowed to return to their homes on Saturday evening having been evacuated earlier that morning.
The incident came after a national emergency alert about wildfire risk was sent to mobile phones on Friday.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said it later saw a noticeable increase in calls from the public, who it thanked "for taking the risk seriously".
Do you have a story suggestion for Beds, Herts or Bucks? Contact us below.
Follow Beds, Herts and Bucks news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
