Festival returns as council issues wildfire warning
BBCA three-day music festival is set to return to a Derby park, with increased measures in place to prevent potential wildfires.
The Darley Park Weekender is due to take place from 21 to 23 August with boy band JLS, Marti Pellow of Wet Wet Wet and Billy Ocean hitting the stage.
Derby City Council is hosting the event again, despite a significant drop in ticket sales for the 2025 shows. Figures provided to the BBC showed just over 6,000 tickets were sold for the 2025 event, down from 11,000 in 2024 and 15,000 in 2023.
The council has said there will be a "low-level" pyrotechnic display and designated smoking areas due to the dry ground.
Who is performing on Friday?
Friday's line-up is headlined by singer Billy Ocean.
Ocean will be joined by special guests Marti Pellow and Katrina, formerly of Katrina and The Waves.
Support acts include Cassette Roulette and DJ Mark Angels, with BBC Radio Derby presenter Ian Skye on stage hosting the evening.

Who is performing on Saturday?
Boy band JLS will headline Saturday night's entertainment, with BBC Radio Derby presenter Becky Measures hosting the evening.
The bill also includes:
- Appleton
- Chesney Hawkes
- Cassette Roulette
- DJ Mark Angels
- The Public Eye

What is happening on Sunday?
The festival concludes with the Darley Park Concert, with performances from:
- Orchestra Sinfonia Viva
- Conductor Stephen Bell
- Soloist Juliette Crosbie performing movie soundtrack themes
- Vocalist Red
- The Derby Harp Ensemble
- The Wellbeing Choir of the University Hospitals of Derby and Burton
Are the fireworks cancelled?
Not quite, organisers have said the traditional finale will go ahead, but in a modified format.
Derby City Council said it has worked closely with Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service and Derbyshire Safety Advisory Group to find a way to safely close the weekend.
Following ongoing wildfire risk warnings in the recent hot, dry weather, this year's display will have "low-level theatrical pyrotechnics consistent with last year's successful format, which removes the risk of igniting the ground on landing".
"This adjusted format delivers a vibrant visual experience while significantly reducing the risk posed by the dry ground," the council added.
The decision follows ongoing wildfire warnings during the summer.
Organisers said visitor safety was their highest priority and a number of additional measures have been introduced, including:
- Designated smoking areas
- Enhanced fire safety measures
- Larger safety zones around the stage
Gurkiran Kaur, Derby City Council's cabinet member for city centre, culture and tourism, said the authority had been "determined to find a way to retain this much-loved part of the event while putting safety first".
Listen to BBC Radio Derby on Sounds and follow BBC Derby on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.
