Devastating fire caused by disposable barbecue

BBC A house that has been destroyed by a fire. All that remains is a shell of brick work, charred timber, rubble and ash.BBC
The fire, which started in a nearby park, spread through multiple gardens and destroyed four homes as dozens were evacuated.

A fire which destroyed a number of houses and gardens in Stoke-on-Trent was caused by a disposable barbecue, investigators have confirmed.

Four properties were lost in the blaze as dozens of people were evacuated from their homes when it broke out shortly after 16:00 BST on Thursday.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said it started at the back of Wignall Road before reaching residences along Sandy Road and Maureen Avenue.

A spokesperson said the fire was caused accidentally when a disposable barbecue ignited in Sandyford Park and flames spread rapidly due to the wind speed and "extremely dry vegetation".

Station manager Liam Hickey said: "This incident goes to show the devastation and impact that disposable barbecues can have on local communities."

The blaze happened shortly before the government announced a temporary ban on the tin-foil barbecues and Hickey said it was important the rules were followed.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service A large area of grass scorched black by fire in a park. Trees can be seen in the area, with buildings and goal posts on the horizon.Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
The fire was caused by a disposable barbecue which ignited in Sandyford Park

He said the fire service was doing everything it could, adding: "We ask that people continue to take extra precautions to help ease the impact on local communities and emergency services who continue to work hard to keep people safe."

Police said the man and woman previously arrested on suspicion of arson remained on bail while officers' inquiries continued.

Three of the four firefighters who were taken to hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion during the incident have since been discharged, the fire service confirmed.

A man in a black t-shirt with grey hair, he is looking towards the camera with a stern look.
Jake Burgess, secretary of Golden Hill Working Men's Club felt there was no support from the council.

Meanwhile, Stoke-on-Trent City Council's leader Jane Ashworth said the authority could have communicated with residents and volunteers better during the fire and its aftermath.

It came after Jake Burgess, secretary of Golden Hill Working Men's Club, which opened its doors to help those affected, said: "The support from the council has been pretty much non-existent."

The club received donations on behalf of the families affected by the fire but had to stop due to the volume of offers.

Describing the course of the events that night, Burgess said: "It's gone from a little bit of smoke in the air to families being in the club... breaking down in tears".

"What can you say to these people? It's so hard when they're sat there going 'my animals, my belongings'. It's been a bit of a roller-coaster."

A woman with short blonde hair is wearing a blue blazer and a yellow blouse. She is looking towards the camera with a slight smile.
Jane Ashworth, leader of Stoke-on-Trent city council.

Speaking about the council's response, Ashworth told BBC Radio Stoke: "Some of it has been very good and some of it could have been better".

She agreed volunteers like Burgess were "working like dogs" to help those affected.

When asked what the council could have done better, she said: "They didn't get the proper contact which respected the role they were taking.

"The council made a mistake in not supporting the community centre and club properly."

A man with grey hair and a red polo shirt on. He is looking towards the camera with a stern look on his face.
Paul Reeves had to flee the house his father built after the flames came close to his property.

Despite conceding that communication could have been better, Ashworth said the council had acted swiftly in other ways, such as getting residents into accommodation on the night of the fire, liaising with the fire service, bringing in building control, street cleaning and security.

Paul Reeves lost his back garden and garage in the fire, though the home itself was largely untouched.

He said his father's ashes were buried in the back garden and a headstone marking the site had been charred in the blaze but mostly escaped severe damage.

A burnt-out garage that the roof has collapsed into.
Paul Reeves' garage was and garden were destroyed in the fire.

"It was frightening. I was terrified," he said of seeing the fire take hold.

Asked how seeing the damage made him feel, he said: "I'm glad because it's not as bad as next door. I'm just grateful for the fire brigade."

He said he was watching everything unfold at the top of Sandy Road on Thursday, adding that everybody was in tears.

A man with a white cap and polo shirt on, he has black headphones round his neck and looking towards the camera.
Chris Murchison was away from his home when he got the call to tell him what had happened.

Chris Murchison, a resident on Maureen Avenue, said his home was also affected by the fire.

He was in nearby Kidsgrove when he found out about the fire and could see the smoke as he returned home.

"I've never seen anything like it, neighbours were just distressed," Murchison added.

The house itself was OK, he said, but his shed and garden were "completely gone".

"You're thankful that your house is OK, but it's just a bit of a shock really."

Follow BBC Stoke & Staffordshire on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.