Play area shut for longer after latest vandalism

Handout A children's play area with a green, yellow and blue rubber style floor surface. Large holes have been ripped out of the floor showing the black material beneath. Handout
Vandals have ripped up areas of the floor surface keeping the popular play area closed

A children's play area in one of Liverpool's busiest parks will remain closed for longer after being vandalised again.

The play area in Sefton Park has been closed since June after vandals ripped up sections of the floor surface material.

Liverpool Council said repairs had been scheduled for 10 July, but the extreme heat meant they had not been possible.

The latest attack means it now also needs to conduct additional work, and a contractor is due on site on Monday 24 August.

A spokesperson said the high temperatures would have meant the material needed to repair the floor surface would not have bonded correctly.

"Unfortunately, while we were waiting for temperatures to fall, the play area was further damaged by acts of vandalism and anti-social behaviour," they said.

"The extent of this damage means we now need to bring in a specialist contractor to complete a range of repairs.

Handout A laminated piece of white A4 paper fixed to a blue metal fence. 
It reads: "Sefton Park Play Area. Work to repair the floor will commence on Thursday 24th August. Alternative play provision can be found at Princes Park, Aigburth Vale, St Agnes Field, Greenbank Park. LCC would like to apologise for any inconvenience."Handout
Repairs had been delayed due to the high temperatures, but the additional vandalism will extend the park's closure

"We apologise to families who have been unable to use the facility and share their frustration, as this kind of vandalism is completely unacceptable."

Insp Laura Chandler, from Merseyside Police, added that the force was appealing for information about the attacks.

"To damage a playground is utterly senseless," she said.

"This is a valuable asset to the community and is used on a daily basis by families. It's appalling that it's been targeted in this way."

The council said families can continue to use the play areas at Princes Park, Aigburth Vale and Greenbank Park.

There had been complaints about the state of the park before it was vandalised, including broken equipment and wear-and-tear on surfaces creating trip hazards.

However the council has previously announced it is due for a full refurbishment next year.

Listen to the best of BBC Radio Merseyside on Sounds and follow BBC Merseyside on Facebook, X, and Instagram. You can also send story ideas via Whatsapp to 0808 100 2230.