Summary

  • Warning: this page contains distressing details

  • Serial sex offender Simon Levy - who killed two women and raped a third while on bail for other offences - has been sentenced to a whole life jail term

  • Levy was found guilty last week of murdering Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo and Sheryl Wilkins in 2025, as well as the violent rape of a third woman

  • In court, one victim's sister told him: "I hope you rot in prison"

  • Levy is a registered sex offender and was being monitored by police at the time of the attacks

  • Metropolitan Police commissioner Mark Rowley says there was a "whole system failing" - while Daniel De Simone writes that there was a series of disastrous decisions by authorities that left him free to roam the streets.

  • Levy's offending dates back years - he was reported to Metropolitan Police for a sexual assault in 2017. He then assaulted two women in 2018, but wasn't convicted for those offences until 2021

  • After being released from prison - where he sexually assaulted a female officer - he committed other assaults, including on the Tube, before the 2025 murders

  1. A series of disastrous decisions from the authoritiespublished at 10:19 BST 12 August

    Daniel De Simone
    Investigations correspondent, reporting from court

    Simon Levy was a registered sex offender, who was being monitored by the Met Police when he murdered two women, raped a third, and sexually assaulted 10 others on public transport.

    That such a man was able to harm so many women is down to police, prosecutors and the courts making a series of disastrous decisions that left him free to roam the streets.

    On Friday, at the Old Bailey, he was found guilty of the murders of Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53, and Sheryl Wilkins, 39, in London last year - and also the violent rape of another woman in a Tottenham car park.

    A police watchdog investigation is underway into the Met’s handling of Levy, and British Transport Police and the Crown Prosecution Service have also accepted serious failings.

    Today is about Levy being sentenced, and the court may also hear impact statements from the families of Carmenza and Sheryl, and the surviving rape victim.

  2. Serial sex offender to be sentenced for double murder and rapepublished at 10:08 BST 12 August

    Cachella Smith
    Reporting from court

    Close-up custody photograph of Levy wearing a light grey sweatshirt against a plain light-coloured background. The image is tightly cropped around the head and shoulders. One eye is partially closed, and Levy is facing the camera.Image source, Metropolitan Police

    Serial sex offender Simon Levy is due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey today, after being found guilty of murdering two women and violently raping a third.

    A known sex offender, Levy was being monitored and risk-managed by police when he killed Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53, in March 2025 and 39-year-old Sheryl Wilkins five months later.

    The two murders followed the rape of a third woman in January 2025. Levy denied the charges but was found guilty on all counts last week.

    He committed the crimes while on bail following arrests for other assaults - and had previously served time in prison for sexual assaults.

    Although Levy was being monitored by the police, the force had downgraded him from a high-risk sex offender to a medium-risk one.

    The Met, British Transport Police and Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) have all admitted failings in how they dealt with him. There's an overview of the case in our scrolling graphic below.

    I’ll be in court when the sentencing hearing begins later - and we'll bring you the latest news and analysis here as it happens.

    This Flourish post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.